The port of Ravenna’s tradition by virtue of its fortunate geographic position, dates back to the 1st century B.C. when Augustus deployed one of his two imperial fleets in Ravenna.
The port continued to be active even following the Empire crisis of the 3rd century and experienced new splendor in the Byzantine era as witnessed by the mosaics of Sant’Apollinare Nuovo.
The port’s history is at a later stage marked by siltings, alluvial events and the consequential sea-bed movements from one meander of the lagoon to the other which surrounded the city.
This situation and the decline of the centuries that followed were brought to an end thanks to the interest of the Papal State. In 1738 Porto Corsini (named after and in honor of Pope Clement XII), a canal flowing from the sea and into the city for over 11 km., began its activity.
The launching of Ravenna’s port as a large port of international economic importance takes place after World War II, coinciding with the establishment along the banks of its port canal of oil and chemical refineries following the discovery of vast gas fields within the waters overlooking the city.
Due to the oil crisis of the ’70s the commercial aspects of the port are further highlighted and in addition to those terminals already in place, new ones are being added, always through private sector initiatives, specialized in the handling of bulk, general cargo and containerized goods.
Today the Port of Ravenna is a large structure capable of offering the most complete range of services to all types of goods. It’s a dynamic reality, object of both public and private investments aimed at improving its infrastructural facilities, widening and at the same time specializing its service offering with a view to obtaining even higher qualitative standards.